Cusco is a must-seen when traveling to Peru. You should definitely add 3 or 4 days in Cusco when planning your Peru trip. For many travelers visiting Peru without exploring Cusco is like writing a story without a real plot, since you cannot catch the essence of the country. Cusco is a vibrant city, rich in history and culture. Considering that, and being sure that you all have added a stop in Cusco in your Peru’s itinerary, in this article we tried to list top things and activities to do in Cusco area.
- Sacsayhuaman: do not forget to pay a visit to this archeological Inca site located on top of the city, where you can enjoy a beautiful view of Cusco. Sacsayhuaman is a mural complex, made of huge stones of approximately 300 pounds each, and reachable on foot from Cusco city. The site is located more than 3500 mts above sea level, so if you suffer from altitude sickness consider taking a taxi.
- Historical Centre: do not forget to visit Cusco’s main square, ranked as one of the most important square in the world. There you can visit the magnificent cathedral, and enjoy the vastity of the square. Take a stroll in the little street around the square, where you can find cozy cafes and restaurants. This spot has been considered the real essence of the Inca Empire.
- San Blas district: San Blas is the vibrant, boho and creative district of Cusco, where you can find clothes shops, Peruvian artisans’ shops, art galleries and workshops and some of the city’s best restaurants and cafes. Its cobbled streets are fascinating, as well as its colonial architecture.
- Rainbow Mountain: this is a popular spot for trekking lovers. You can hike the route by yourself in approximately 2 hours or you can rent a horse to make the experience a bit lighter, in one day you will have an amazing trekking experience and enjoy a stunning view. Once you reach the famous rainbow mountain you will enjoy an amazing and not-ordinary colorful landscape. Do not forget your camera!
- San Pedro Market: to catch the essence of Peruvian culture you should visit this huge market, located only 10 minutes from Cusco’s main square. This is a great place to try Peruvian authentic food, do not forget to negotiate prices, that’s the funniest part.
Here are only few things that you can do in Cusco, but Cusco is an amazing city where you can find pretty much everything depending on your preferences and specific needs.